Monday, January 2, 2012

Revisiting the Chore Chart

I'm not sure what is is about a new year that brings out the organization beast in me, but the beast is rearing it's head again this year. Instead of buying a dozen plastic bins for sorting (that was last year's New Years organizing project), I decided to make a commitment to this pretty little thing....

THE CHORE CHART!

I made this a couple years ago in an attempt to get more help around the house from the kiddos, and so that we could start to explain money management to the kids. It did work, but we (the grown-ups) slacked off, and things fell apart. This time, Ali is old enough to join the fun, and so we are gonna give this another try. Let me explain how it works, and then I will explain a bit about how I made it.

HOW IT WORKS:
The chart is divided into 3 basic sections (blue for Eric, orange for Ben, pink for Ali). There is a strip of pockets (2 for each kid) across the middle that hold cards of things they must do each day... CHORES. They are expected to always keep up with these chores (things like get dressed, make their beds, clear the table) each day. When they have completed a chore, they move it from the left to right pocket. They get a small allowance each week that remains the same amount, assuming they have basically kept up with chores.

In addition, if their chores are completed for the day, they may choose one or more JOBS, which are also listed on cards (in green type, versus red for chores) and stuck in the grid at the bottom of the chart. Job include things like picking up sticks outside, sweeping the porch, or helping with laundry. If they complete a job, they put that card into a larger pocket below their two chore pockets. At the end of the week, I see what jobs they have done that week, and they get extra money accordingly. Those extra cards are stored in pockets that are across the top of the chart.

Sound confusing? Well, I was worried about that too, but believe me.... the kids caught on RIGHT away, and it worked. They knew that they were expected to do the minimal things that everyone should do around the house, and if they wanted extra cash, they could go above and beyond. Surprisingly, they often did! This time, I think we can make it work, as long as the grownups keep up with it.

We really struggled about how best to handle the allowance and money issue. On one hand, I want my kids to learn that they need to earn money, but at the same time, I want them to understand that there are basic things that need to be done in a household, and that they need to contribute just because, not because they are being paid. Thus, the 2-prong approach. Allowance is small and semi-automatic. If you want more, you need to earn it. Not sure it's the very best approach, but it's the best I can come up with for now.  :)
  

HOW I MADE IT:

I spent hours (and I mean hours) scouring the internet for a chore chart that made sense to me conceptually, but that also would be pretty enough that I could stand looking at it everyday. My chart is an amalgamation of lots of different things I saw out there.

The base of the chart is a large cork bulletin board that we had in our basement. I cut a piece of off-white duck cloth large enough to cover the whole board and wrap around the back.

Then, I made three strips of pockets of varying heights by measuring out the width I needed, embellishing with the colorful "quilted" strips of fabric, sewing lines to make pockets, and then sewing those pocket strips to the main piece.

When that was done (I will admit it took me almost a whole day!), I wrapped the fabric around the bulletin board and stapled it to the back.

Lastly, I took ribbon and made the grid at the bottom, tacking it down with the push pins.

The cards were made on the computer and have a chore/job listed at the top, a photo in the middle, and a brief description at the bottom. They are covered with clear contact paper so that they will survive over time. I add new chores/jobs periodically.


Well, wish me (and the kids!) luck. I have a whole lot of additional cards to make up.  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment